Your data with Look After My Bills
Here at Look After My Bills we make sure your data is held as securely as possible and in a transparent way. In terms of getting ready for GDPR, we’ve carried out the following actions:
- We’ve built a host of processes to make sure all your data rights are upheld to the best possible standard – read the rest of this webpage for more information.
- We’ve clarified the cookies we use when you access the site. You can access our Cookie Notice here.
- We have had advice from an external organisation about both appropriate steps to take on the way to GDPR preparedness, and with our privacy programme, and we would be happy to supply their details on request.
If you decide to register your interest and do not complete the sign up form, we’ll send you a semi-regular newsletter and the occasional marketing email (hopefully both helpful!).
You can unsubscribe from marketing emails at any time, simply by clicking on the unsubscribe link on one of the emails.
If you are a customer, some emails do not have an unsubscribe button. These emails are for operational purposes, for instance, letting you know who your new supplier is. Therefore, to cancel these emails, you will need to cancel the service. Simply email us on [email protected] or call on 0333 000 8000.
If you are a Look After My Bills customer, then we keep your data until you tell us otherwise. The service makes sure you are on the best tariff, year in, year out, so we need access to your data in order to make that happen.
If you register your interest, or cancel the service, we keep your data for thirty seven months.
We do this as most fixed deals are 1 or 2 years in length. In addition, 23% of the UK energy market have not switched for at least 5 years and 35% have never switched. Therefore, keeping the data for longer gives us a chance to get customers on the worst deals a much better deal. (Source: p. 26 Ofgem Report on the Energy Market, 2017). We believe 5 years is too long to keep hold of the data. Therefore, to reach the right balance we have decided to keep the data for 37 months.
We review our data policy every 3 months to make sure it’s above the required standard in the UK.
We will NEVER pass your data to a third party for marketing purposes without your explicit permission.
Removing your data
If you decide to delete all your data from our service, please email us at [email protected] with the request. We will then process this on your behalf. Please note, you may be asked for some more details (so we know it’s you) but we’ll cover all this once the request has been submitted.
If you have a switch in progress with us, and you want your data removed, it is your responsibility to cancel the switch. Please bear this in mind when asking for your data to be removed as we can only cancel a switch if we have the data.
Changing your data
If you would like to update the data we have on you, please email us at [email protected] with your name, postcode and email address (so we know it’s you) and let us know the update. You can also call us on 0333 000 8000.
Accessing your data
Just like before GDPR, you have the right to ask us to confirm all the data we have on you.
There are a few key steps to confirm, which, for ease, we’ve covered below:
The purpose of processing your data is:
- If you are a customer then we hold your information to conduct switches on your behalf.
- If you have not yet become a customer, we hold your data so that we can advertise our service and the savings you could make.
The categories of personal data concerned are:
- Personal data
- Energy Information
- Bank details (4 digits of the bank account, 2 digits of the sort code)
The recipients or categories of recipient to whom the personal data has or will be disclosed, in particular recipients outside the EU are:
- ActiveCampaign (you data is held in the US under the EU-US Privacy Shield)
- EnergyLinx (Your data is held within the EEA)
- FreshDesk (Your data is held within the EEA)
The envisaged period for which the personal data will be stored:
- If you register your interest, or cancel the service we keep your data for thirty seven months.
- We do this as most fixed deals are 1 or 2 years in length. In addition, 23% of the UK energy market have not switched for at least 5 years and 35% have never switched. Therefore, keeping the data for longer gives us a chance to get the customers on the worst deals a much better deal. (Source: p. 26 Ofgem Report on the Energy Market, 2017). We believe 5 years is too long to keep hold of the data. Therefore, to reach the right balance we have decided to keep the data for 37 months.