How to contact your energy supplier

Checking direct debit

Here’s how to contact your energy provider if you’ve switched gas and/or electricity with us.

Can’t I contact Look After My Bills about a problem with my energy supplier?

No, we won’t be able to sort out any problems to do with your actual energy supply or bill, and we can’t contact suppliers on your behalf.

This is because suppliers, like us, have privacy policies in place to prevent anyone other than the account holder accessing the account.

If you have any energy queries you’ll need to contact the supplier’s own customer service team.

How do I contact my energy supplier?

Your energy supplier will usually have its contact details on its website, or there may even be an online chat function you can use to talk to customer services instantly.

Make a note of the date and time, who you speak to and the conversation you have. That way you can send a follow up email if your problem isn’t solved over the phone or via the online chat – this means you’ll have a record of the discussion.

What to do if you’re unable to contact supplier?

If you can’t get an answer from your supplier, get in touch with Citizens Advice for guidance on what you can do next, such as making a complaint. 

How to make a formal complaint about  your supplier

You’ll need to get any supporting evidence that might be relevant to your problem, like: 

  • photos of a broken energy metre
  • copies of incorrect bills
  • notes from phone calls or copies of email exchanges
  • any other communication about the issue your supplier has sent you

You’ll also need your account number and an explanation about why you’re making the complaint.

When that’s organised, you can submit your complaint to your supplier over the phone, by email or post. Your supplier should have their complaints procedure online which should help.

☎️ Make a complaint over the phone

When you call, explain the problem and how you’d like it resolved – like by having an engineer sent out to fix your metre if it’s broken. 

Also ask how long it’ll take to get a response, and if there’s a case or reference number for your complaint. Note down the date and time of the call and who you speak to, in case you need this later.

✍️ Make a complaint by email or post

You’ll need to explain the problem, how long it’s been going on and how you’d like it resolved. Citizens Advice has a letter template you could use

If you’re sending a physical letter, get proof of postage. 

Your supplier should have an email address to send your complaint to in its complaints procedure – if you can’t find it, give them a call and ask for it.

Keep copies of all letters and/or emails you get from your supplier.

What next?

Your supplier should contact you if more details are needed.

Within 8 weeks, you should get a ‘decision letter’ or ‘letter of deadlock’ explaining how they’ll deal with your complaint.

Need to take your complaint further?

You can refer your case to the energy ombudsman after complaining to your supplier if you:

  • have a letter of deadlock but aren’t happy with the decision
  • weren’t sent a decision letter or letter of deadlock within 8 weeks
helpful guides

The ombudsman will look at both sides of the case and make a decision. If it’s ruled to be unfair, the ombudsman can make your supplier resolve it differently.

Citizens Advice has a guide on how to complain to the energy ombudsman

How to find out what tariff you’re on

To find out who supplies your electricity, you can use the Energy Network Association search tool to find your network operator using your postcode. Then contact your network operator to find out who your supplier is. 

It’s a bit simpler to find out who supplies your gas – you can use the Find My Supplier online tool for free to quickly find out.