I’m moving property/home. How do I update my account?

If you have moved home you should:

  1. Inform your current supplier of your move out date
  2. Once you have moved into your new property, find out who is supplying the property and let them know that you have taken over the bills (Don’t agree to a new fixed tariff with them).

If you don’t know who your supplier is, you can find out here:

  • Electricity- Use the Energy Networks Association postcode search tool (opens in another page)
  • Gas- Use the Meter Point Admistration’s online search tool: Find My Supplier or call 0870 608 1524 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge)