At Look After My Bills we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We work very hard to keep your information safe and we want our use of your data to be secure. We follow strict procedures on how personal information is stored and used, and we also limit who sees it to help stop any unauthorised person getting hold of it.
1. Who we are and how to contact us
Our contact details are:
Look After My Bills
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0333 000 8000
Our DPO’s contact details are:
Email: [email protected]
3. What types of personal information we collect
Depending upon the way in which you use our website and the individual products and services you are looking to buy, we may obtain the following:
- personal information so that we can identify who you are. For example, this information may include your name and date and place of birth;
- personal information so that we can contact you. For example, this information may include your home address, your email address and your contact telephone numbers;
- personal information so that we can help you find a new provider and/or new products or services. For example, this information may include details about you and your financial situation, your work or your profession;
- other more sensitive personal information so that we can help you find a new provider and/or products or services. For example, this information may include details about your health or criminal convictions and offences. This data is known as “special category data” and we will only collect this data with your explicit consent and if the law allows us to do so; and
- behavioural and/or technical personal information. For example, this information may include details about how you browse our website and the devices and technology you use to browse our website.
4. How we use personal information, the lawful grounds upon which we rely and why
|How might you use my personal information?||What lawful basis will you have to use my personal information in this way?||Why do you use my personal information in this way?|
|We may share your personal information with our approved partners and third-party product providers so that they can return a quote to you to help us look after your bills via our website and facilitate a switch.||This processing of your personal information is necessary so that we can provide our look after my bills service to you in accordance with our legitimate business use and in line with our website terms and conditions. If we process special category data which you have chosen to provide to us for this purpose, we will do so only with your explicit consent, if the law allows us to.||Without processing your personal information in this way we would be unable to provide our great look after my bills service to you.|
|We may share your personal information with a limited number of approved third party data providers in return for further information about you. We use this further information for data enrichment purposes and in order to auto-populate relevant fields within our website to save you time and effort. For example, if you provide us with your postcode and home number, we may search the databases of our approved third party data providers in order to auto-populate further information about your address.||We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information in this way.||It is in our legitimate interests to process your personal information in this way so that we can provide a more user-friendly, intuitive and enjoyable price and product comparison experience.|
|If you subscribe to our switching service, we may process your personal information as your agent for the purposes of providing you with that service. For example, in future we may share your personal information on your behalf with our approved partners and third party product providers in order to find fair deals for you and hence switch you onto those fair deals.||We will only process your personal information for the purposes of providing our auto switching service to you with your consent. We will only process special category data which you have chosen to provide to us for this purpose with your explicit consent, if the law allows us to.||Without processing your personal information in this way, we would be unable to provide our auto switching service to you.|
|If you opt-in to receive renewal reminders from us, we may process your personal information for the purposes of providing renewal reminders to you.||We will only process your personal information for the purposes of providing|
renewal reminders to you with your consent.
|Renewal reminders mean that you will be given plenty of notice to return to our website to make sure you are getting a fair deal before your product or service automatically renews or expires.|
|If you opt-in to receive general marketing from us, we may process your personal information for the purposes of providing our general marketing to you. For example, if you opt-in to receive our general marketing, we may send you newsletters, information about our latest offers, products and promotions and more.||We will only process your personal information for the purposes of|
providing direct marketing to you with your consent.
|All of our marketing is carefully drafted and intended always to be relevant and useful for our customers.|
|We may process your personal information in order to send you service communications.||This processing of your personal information is necessary so that we can provide our services to you in accordance with our website terms and conditions.||Without processing your personal information in this way we would be unable to provide our services to you.|
|We may process your personal information in order to detect and prevent financial crime, including fraud.||We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information for the purposes of detecting and preventing financial crime.||It is in our legitimate interests to process your personal information in this way because financial crime negatively impacts all of us. We take our obligation to investigate, report and hence seek to prevent financial crime extremely seriously and we believe our work in this area benefits the overwhelming majority of our customers who use our website honestly.|
|We may process your personal information and share it with our approved partners and third party product providers in order to verify that a sale between you and one of our approved partners or third party product providers has taken place.||We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information for sales validation and audit purposes.||It is in our legitimate interests to process your personal information in this way so that we can continue to provide our services to you free of charge. This means that when you buy a product or service from a third party via our website, that third party pays us a commission instead.|
|We may process your personal information in order to comply with any and all legal and/or regulatory obligations to which we are subject.||This processing of your personal information is necessary so that we can comply with legal obligations to which we are subject.||We are subject to numerous laws, rules and regulations. Sometimes it is necessary for us to process your personal information in order to obey the laws, rules and regulations to which we are subject.|
|We may process your personal information in order to obtain feedback and reviews for customer research purposes to help us improve and quality control our service this may include the use of trusted independent third parties.||We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information in order to ensure that we are always able to provide an excellent quality of service.||It is in our legitimate interests to process and share your personal information in this way so that we can provide an excellent quality of service. To do this, we regularly monitor and seek to improve our interactions with you and our approved partners and third-party product providers. This helps us to understand how we can better satisfy your needs and hence grow our business. Our work in this area ensures that we can continue to provide the level of service which you have rightly come to expect from us.|
5. How we collect personal information
We collect personal information from you when you interact or engage with our website including when you register an account with us or compare products or services via our website. We may also collect personal information from you when you talk to us on the phone, by post or online including via email, social media and mobile device apps. We may also engage with you and hence collect personal information from you if you choose to provide feedback or take part in any of our other market research initiatives, customer surveys or competitions, prize draws or promotions. Occasionally, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties or publicly available sources, as set out in section 4 above.
6. Third parties with whom we may exchange personal information
We may share personal information with or receive personal information from:
- other members of our corporate group;
- our approved partners and third party product providers;
- our approved third party data providers, including the DVLA if you give us your driving licence number;
- our regulators and other regulatory bodies, including the Information Commissioner’s Office;
- law enforcement and fraud prevention agencies; and
- third parties to whom we may sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or assets or third parties whose business or assets we may acquire.
- our third party suppliers (for example, IT software and service providers and marketing agencies).
- third parties we use to collect feedback and reviews on our behalf;
7. How our third parties may use personal information
We impose strict restrictions on the things that third parties may do with personal information that we give to them. For example, such third parties may process personal information that we give to them in order to:
- assess your eligibility for the products or services which you have expressed an interest in;
- determine your identity and the deals which are available to you and hence carry out checks:
- with fraud prevention agencies in order to detect and prevent financial crime, including fraud;
- with credit reference agencies;
- with public and private higher education sources in order to verify your student or graduate status; and
- against information they already hold about you (for example, if you are an existing member of their loyalty schemes or otherwise already known to their corporate group); and
- share personal information with their approved third parties and relevant industry databases; and
- conduct internal research (such as by analysing market trends and customer demographics) in order to develop the products and services which they offer.
8. What communications you may receive from us
The communications we send to our customers can be categorised broadly as “direct marketing communications” and “service communications”.
a. Direct marketing communications
We understand that some of our customers like to receive our newsletters and other information about our latest offers, products and promotions. You can choose to opt-in to receiving these direct marketing communications when you subscribe to our products and services. You can also choose to opt-out of receiving these direct marketing communications at any time.
b. Service communications
Service communications broadly comprise of communications which:
- we have a legal or regulatory obligation to send to you (such as communications which we are obliged by our regulator to send to you from time to time);
- we send in connection with the provision of our services to you; and
- we send so that we can provide services at your request (such as password reset emails, which you may ask us to send if you do not remember your login credentials but want to access our products and services).
9. Sending personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
We will only ever send personal information to providers outside the EEA if those providers are required to protect personal information in exactly the same way they would be required to protect personal information if they were based within the EEA. This means that we will only send personal information to a non-EEA country if:
- the European Commission has determined that the relevant non-EEA country affords an adequate level of protection for personal information;
- pursuant to agreement between us and the relevant provider based in the non-EEA country which contains data protection clauses adopted or approved by the European Commission; or
- we send data to the US pursuant to the Privacy Shield.
10. How long we retain personal information
We may keep your personal information for up to six (6) years following the date on which we last provide our products or services to you or only for as long as is reasonably necessary thereafter in order to:
- respond fully to any questions or complaints;
- evidence that we have treated customers fairly or satisfy some other legal, accounting, tax or reporting requirement; and
- establish, exercise or defend legal claims in accordance with
statutory limitation periods.
11. Data security
The security of personal information is extremely important to us and hence we have put in place appropriate security measures to protect personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way.
12. Your legal rights
- a. Right of access
You have a right to know whether we are processing your personal information. If we are processing your personal information, you also have a right to request copies of your personal information that we are processing and certain further information, including the purposes of our processing and the recipients or categories of recipients to whom we have disclosed (or will disclose) your personal information.
- b. Right to rectification
- You have the right to require us to rectify or complete any inaccurate or incomplete personal information that we are holding about you.
- c. Right to erasure
- You have a right to ask us to erase your personal information. This is also known as the “right to be forgotten”. We must erase your personal information following your request except in limited circumstances prescribed by law, such as where we need to retain your personal information in order to comply with a legal obligation or in order to establish, exercise or defend legal claims. In these circumstances, we will restrict our processing of your personal information by putting it “beyond use”. This means that your personal information is deleted from our website and retained only in a separate and restricted database, where it will not be processed for any purpose other than as detailed above. Access to this database is managed by our DPO and is strictly limited.
- d. Right to restriction of processing
- You have a right to require us to restrict processing of your personal information where:-
- you believe that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate and we require reasonable time to verify the accuracy of that personal information;
- your personal information has been unlawfully processed by us but you do not want us to erase that personal information;
- it is no longer necessary for us to keep your personal information for the purposes for which they were collected by us but they are required by
you for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- you exercise your right to object to processing and we require reasonable time to verify whether there are any overriding grounds upon which we may rely in order to continue that processing.
- e. Right to data portability
- If we process your personal information with your consent or because it is necessary for us to do so in order to provide our service to you, you may require us to move, copy or transfer that personal information to you or another third party in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
- f. Right to object
- You have a right to object to our processing of your personal information where we are processing that personal information on legitimate interest grounds. We will stop processing this personal information if you exercise your right to object unless there are overriding grounds upon which we may rely in order to continue that processing or unless that processing is necessary in order to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
You also have a right to object to our processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You can object to our processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes by unsubscribing via the unsubscribe hyperlink in any direct marketing messages which we may send to you. We will stop processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes if you request us to do so.
- g. Right to withdraw consent
- If we process your personal information with your consent, you have a right to withdraw your consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent, we may be unable to continue to provide certain services to you but we will inform you if that is the case.
- Our Website uses “cookies” and other tracking technologies which are placed and stored on your computer hard drive or in the browser memory, if you agree, when you visit our Websites.
- We use technical information gathered in this way for site management and security purposes and for:
- Improving our Website and ensuring that content is presented effectively.
- Managing our Website and ensuring that it is safe and secure
- Administering our Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes. (automatically collected technical information about visits to our Website is used for these purposes).
- You can find out what cookies we use and how to switch them off by clicking here.
You can complain to us or the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time on telephone number 0303 123 1113 or https://ico.org.uk/ .
However, we appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns so please do contact us in the first instance.
Last Updated October 2020